Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pipilotti Rist


I think that Pipilotti Rist is a very unique and creative human being. She was born in Switzerland and has become a very well known video artist. Her works always include her own self and her exploration of sexuality. In the film "I'm not the girl who misses much," she starts out in a black dress, half exposed with her speech and actions sped up so that she sounds as if she has sucked helium. She moves all around the frame and the entire picture is very fuzzy. The film continues on until it goes into several different scenes. At one point there is a naked man dancing and bouncing freely as if he is one with nature. Another scene is of a naked Rist. The camera shows going into her mouth and out of her anus. I consider this to be the most graphic thing we have seen all semester. The last scene it looks like Rist is in an elevator with large glass windows in a tall building in a downtown setting. I really liked the double exposure that you could see. It was as if there was another face in the room with her. Throughout the film I enjoyed all of the nature that was present. The natural backgrounds calmed the initial reactions I had when I saw the nude bodies.

I think that overall, Rist's work is very interesting and innovative. It certainly has not been thought of before. She still continues to make video art and just completed a full length film last year. She has a son with her longtime boyfriend and continues to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment